Alex Jones must pay legal fees for 'frivolous' Sandy Hook appeal
AUSTIN, Texas — The 3rd Court of Appeals Wednesday denied Alex Jones’ motion to dismiss a defamation lawsuit brought by a Sandy Hook parent and ordered Jones to pay $22,500 in attorney fees for what they found to be a frivolous appeal.That means that Jones has now been assessed nearly $150,000 in legal fees in two cases — one for defamation and another for intentional infliction of emotional distress — brought by Neil Heslin, whose 6-year-old son, Jesse Lewis, was one of the 20 first-graders killed along with six school staffers in the December 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in ...
James Dolan and Charles Oakley ordered to attend mediation in an attempt to squash Knicks lawsuit
James Dolan and Charles Oakley have been ordered to talk it out.The U.S. Court of Appeals scheduled a conference call between the warring sides on March 31, requiring that Dolan and Oakley attend with their attorneys. The order, which was uncovered by sports legal analyst Daniel Wallach and confirmed by sources, is the latest document to emerge from Oakley’s civil lawsuit against the Knicks owner.It says that three hours must be allotted for the mediation, and history suggests it will contain some unpleasantries.Oakley sued Dolan for defamation, assault and false imprisonment after he was arre...
New York Daily News
Bankrupt Johnson Publishing reaches $500,000 settlement in Ebony defamation lawsuit
CHICAGO — Bankrupt Johnson Publishing reached a $500,000 settlement in a defamation lawsuit brought by the family of two Georgia high school students alleging they were falsely implicated in the 2013 death of a black classmate by a series of articles that appeared in Ebony.The agreement, filed Monday and pending approval by a Chicago bankruptcy judge, would mark the end of a controversial chapter in the history of Johnson Publishing, the former publisher of Ebony and Jet magazines, which is liquidating its assets to pay off creditors after declaring Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April.In 2014, FBI a...
Apple says it did nothing wrong but agrees to pay up to $500 million to iPhone owners, users
Apple will pay owners and users of certain iPhone models up to $25 per phone as part of a settlement that, if approved by a judge, will see the Cupertino firm pay up to $500 million over alleged secret throttling of phone performance.The deal, according to filings in federal court in San Jose, is to cover all current and former U.S. owners and users of the iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, and SE devices running iOS 10.2.1 or later, and iPhone 7 and 7 Plus phones running iOS 11.2 or later, who ran those operating systems before December 21, 2017.The tentative settlement, awaiting a judge’s approv...
The Mercury News
Wrongly convicted Kansas man to receive $1.6 million, certificate of innocence, state announces
TOPEKA, Kan. — Lamonte McIntyre, who served 23 years for murders he did not commit, will receive a certificate of innocence and $1.55 million as part of settlement of his mistaken conviction lawsuit, the Kansas Attorney General’s office said in a news release.Attorney General Derek Schmidt announced Monday that an agreed resolution of the lawsuit had been reached and approved in Shawnee County District Court.McIntyre, who is now in his 40s, was arrested at age 17 in 1994, tried and convicted of murdering Doniel Quinn, 21, and Donald Ewing, 34, who were killed with a shotgun as they sat in a ca...
The Kansas City Star
Kevin Hart asks for dismissal of a $60 million sex tape lawsuit after court documents were thrown on his driveway
Kevin Hart is asking a judge to dismiss the $60 million sex tape lawsuit against him, saying he wasn’t properly served in the case when court documents were thrown out of a car onto his driveway.New court documents say that a process server working for plaintiff Montia Sabbag simply “drove by Hart’s home and threw a summons and complaint out of a car window in the sight of” a security guard stationed outside the residence last month. Sabbag, who appeared in a scandalous 2017 sex tape with the Philly-born comic, initially filed her suit last year, claiming that Hart conspired with other defenda...
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Anti-Trump protester arrested on 'blatantly false' charge reaches $105,000 settlement
SEATTLE — The Washington State Patrol has agreed to pay $105,000 to settle a civil-rights lawsuit filed by a man who claimed he was wrongly accused of assaulting a state trooper during a 2017 protest against President Donald Trump in downtown Olympia.Kieran Moulton Shell claimed in a federal lawsuit filed last year that he was the “victim of a blatantly false pretextual” arrest during competing pro- and anti-Trump rallies held March 4, 2017, at Heritage Park.Shell, who was 19 at the time of the protest, says he was falsely accused of being one of a small group of Trump protesters who assaulted...
The Seattle Times
3M Co. agrees to pay $55M to settle PFAS contamination case in Michigan
3M Co. will pay $55 million to settle a PFAS water contamination lawsuit brought by the Michigan maker of Hush Puppies shoes.The agreement announced Thursday after the markets closed will “resolve all legal claims” between 3M and Wolverine World Wide Inc. and will be used, 3M said, to address PFAS chemicals found in the environment in Michigan communities near a waste disposal site in Belmont, Mich.Separately, Wolverine signed a court agreement Thursday agreeing to pay the state of Michigan $69.5 million to settle that state’s PFAS contamination claims against Wolverine. That money will be use...
Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
James Dolan teases a reconciliation with Charles Oakley
Instead of doing a victory lap, James Dolan extended a hand.After a judge dismissed Charles Oakley’s lawsuit against the Knicks owner Wednesday, Madison Square Garden released a statement teasing a reconciliation.“We thank the court for its ruling. This was an incident that no one was happy about,” read the statement. “Maybe now there can be peace between us.”Dolan and the Knicks are undergoing a rebrand directed by marketing mogul Steve Stoute, who said last week he hopes to bring Oakley back to MSG. Of course, it’d have to be a two-way arrangement and animosity certainly lingers on Oakley’s ...
New York Daily News
Motorola Solutions scored a $765 million win in a trade secrets case against a Chinese competitor. It's not satisfied
A yearslong court battle over technology trade secrets and copyright infringement came to a head last week when a jury awarded Motorola Solutions $764.5 million in damages.But the case the Chicago-based company is waging against a Chinese competitor is not over yet.“This company stole for years Motorola proprietary technology,” said Motorola CEO Greg Brown. “They stole thousands of documents, they stole millions of lines of source code, and to this day, their products are still being sold with stolen technology.”The lawsuit, filed in 2017, alleged that Shenzhen, China-based Hytera was selling ...