Mets announce they are selling team to Steve Cohen, hedge-fund billionaire to own 95% of franchise
NEW YORK — Steve Cohen’s decade-long pursuit of the Mets is over. He’s liberated the team from the Wilpons.“I am excited to have reached an agreement with the Wilpon and Katz families to purchase the New York Mets,” Cohen said in a statement.The hedge fund billionaire, soon to be MLB’s richest owner, will reportedly own 95% of the team, with the Wilpon and Katz families owning the remaining 5%.The deal values the Mets at $2.475 billion. Cohen still needs to get approval from 23 of the 30 MLB owners in order to take over the team; that could happen as soon as November. He’s expected to get thos...
New York Daily News
Records of billionaire hedge fund manager, wife subpoenaed in ongoing Jeffrey Epstein probe
MIAMI — The attorney general of the U.S. Virgin Islands has issued subpoenas for testimony from several former financial and business associates of disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, court documents made public Tuesday show.The subpoenas were actually filed Sept. 3 but made public Tuesday in a civil racketeering investigation led by Attorney General Denise George. The targets include billionaire hedge fund manager Glenn Dubin, his former company Highbridge Capital Corporation and his wife Eva Andersson-Dubin, a physician who is a former Miss Sweden and former Epstein girlfriend.Epstein and D...
Former Tribune Publishing CEO to take helm of McClatchy when newspaper chain emerges from bankruptcy
Former Tribune Publishing CEO Tony Hunter will become CEO of McClatchy Co. when the newspaper chain emerges from Chapter 11 bankruptcy next month, its new hedge fund owner announced Friday.A longtime Chicago Tribune executive who helped guide Tribune Publishing out of bankruptcy as CEO from 2011 to 2014, Hunter will inherit a similar situation at McClatchy under Chatham Asset Management.The New Jersey hedge fund acquired McClatchy, which publishes the Miami Herald and other major newspapers, for about $312 million at a bankruptcy auction in July. The sale, which was approved by a New York bank...