Yankees' Luis Severino frustrated as he heads to New York for tests on ailing arm
TAMPA, Fla. — Luis Severino is headed back to New York on Monday to undergo a battery of tests to try and determine what is causing the forearm soreness near his right elbow. The Yankees right-hander, who missed most of 2019, has been shut down from throwing indefinitely and is alarmed, frustrated, but yet still hopeful that this medical mystery that began back in October will be solved simply.“I hope, man. I hope this is nothing. I hope this goes away tomorrow and I’ll be good to throw bullpens, sim games and I’ll start pitching here in spring training,” Severino said before meeting with the ...
New York Daily News
Capitals’ Alex Ovechkin One Goal Shy Of 700
Alex Ovechkin is now one goal shy of reaching 700, scoring his first goal in five games on Thursday night in the Washington Capitals’ 4-3 overtime loss to the Montreal Canadiens.His last goal came with a hat trick on Feb. 4 against the Los Angeles Kings. He now sits at 699 career goals.As the slump continued, members of the Capitals’ organization spoke out, including GM Brian MacLellan.“From observing, I would say I think everybody wants him to get it and are trying hard for him to get it… let’s just play our game and it’s going to happen organically,” MacLellan said. “It’s just going to take ...
Joe Harris wants to re-sign with the Nets as GM Sean Marks plots for title contention
PHILADELPHIA — The Nets are locked into this roster, more or less. So long as Sean Marks wants to keep it that way. They don’t have their first-round pick, but own Philly’s which will fall somewhere in the 20s. Their core is under contract through next season with one exception: Joe Harris.The 28-year-old sharpshooter is due for a pay increase from his $7.7 million salary and declared Thursday he hopes to re-sign for a real chance with Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant.“Definitely, why wouldn’t you? Obviously, those are guys who I’ve gotten close with now that I’ve been with them this past year,” ...
New York Daily News
Longtime Miami coach Art Kehoe recovering from stroke
Longtime Miami Hurricanes offensive line coach Art Kehoe is recovering from a stroke, according to former player Kelvin Harris, who was coached by Kehoe at UM from 1987 to 1991.Kehoe, 62, is the only Miami coach that has had a hand in all five of the Hurricanes’ national championships. He was inducted into the UM Sports Hall of Fame in 2002 during his initial tenure as an assistant coach from 1981 to 2005. He later had a second stint as offensive line coach from 2011-15.Harris heard of Kehoe’s stroke, which occurred earlier this week, from another Miami football alum, Gerard Daphnis, in a text...
Bears release Prince Amukamara and Taylor Gabriel, clearing $13.5 million in salary-cap space
CHICAGO — The Bears will head to the scouting combine in Indianapolis next week in search of a starting cornerback and a vertical threat on offense.The Bears on Friday released veteran cornerback Prince Amukamara, who started 42 games for them over the last three seasons, and wide receiver Taylor Gabriel. By making the moves now, the Bears allow the players to get a head start on finding new employment.Amukamara, 30, was due to earn a $9 million base salary this year, and the move clears $9 million in salary-cap space. He will count as $1 million in dead money against the 2020 cap.Amukamara su...
J.T. Realmuto says Phillies took advantage of outdated arbitration process
CLEARWATER, Fla. — J.T. Realmuto did not yet know the result of his arbitration case when he stood Thursday afternoon inside a batting cage underneath Spectrum Field. Less than 24 hours earlier, Realmuto and his agent, Jeff Berry, had argued in Arizona against the Phillies, fighting what proved to be a losing battle to earn the catcher a record-setting contract.And now he was back in Florida, preparing for a season that is just five weeks away. The arbitration process — the Phillies won when an arbitrator selected their $10 million offer over Realmuto’s $12.4 million appeal — lasted just a day...
The Philadelphia Inquirer
A's pitcher Mike Fiers, who blew whistle on Astros, has received death threats
And now for something completely predictable.A’s pitcher Mike Fiers, who blew the whistle on the Houston Astros’ elaborate and egregious sign-stealing scandal, has received death threats.The cheating dated back to 2017, which would have encompassed two Astros World Series appearances, including the only World Series championship in the 57-year history of the franchise. If you thought fans would be above threatening the well-being of a player from an opposing team rather than enjoy straight-up competition, you haven’t brushed up on your history. Jackie Robinson was threatened when he broke base...
The Mercury News
Big East Tournament Tickets On Sale Now! [Dates, Deals & Ticket Information]
Big East Tournament Tickets are on sale now! The Big East Conference Championship is a four-round tournament that takes place from March 11-14. The winner will be guaranteed a spot in the NCAA tournament. This is especially helpful to teams who are “on the bubble” of making it into the tournament and need more recognition or exposure to be selected for a bid.GET BIG EAST TOURNAMENT TICKETS HERE!The tournament will be held in Madison Square Garden and the format will take place over four separate rounds. Each team is seeded depending on their record in conference play. The first round pits the ...
Flying Car Mode and other secrets of the 2020 Corvette Stingray
LAS VEGAS — Evading helicopter surveillance and channeling the spirit of the “godfather of the Corvette” were business as usual for GM engineers developing the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, code-named C8 because it’s the eighth-generation of the sports car.The first mid-engined production car in Corvette history, the new Stingray had near-mythic status before it ever turned a wheel, and has won nearly every major new car award since it debuted in 2019. The first production models will arrive at dealers in late February or early March.Chevrolet engineers and designers wanted to make a mid-e...
Detroit Free Press
Penn State says it has settled all claims with the family of Joe Paterno
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Following eight years of rocky relations in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal, Pennsylvania State University has made peace with the family of Joe Paterno.The head of the Penn State’s board of trustees announced Friday that the school had resolved all outstanding issues with the legendary coach’s family, including a lawsuit that Paterno’s son Jay, now a member of the board, had filed against the university in 2014.“As part of the resolution, the Paternos have dropped all outstanding claims and the university has agreed to cover certain of the Paterno f...
The Philadelphia Inquirer