9 journalists arrested since start of Egypt covid pandemic
Since the first official coronavirus case was announced in Egypt, at least nine journalists have been imprisoned, according to the Freedom Twitter account for political prisoners.The reporters face fabricated charges and two were added to new cases despite already being in pretrial detention for two years.Since appearing #coronavirus in #Egypt, at least 9 journalists have been imprisoned, who face fabricated chargesTwo journalists were also recycled to put them on new cases, although they had already been in pretrial detention for two years#freedom #journalismisnotacrime pic.twitter.com/rLA2Nk...
The Middle East Monitor
One new confirmed coronavirus case announced on Sunday
One new confirmed SARS-Cov-2 case was announced on Sunday by the Cypriot authorities. The number of confirmed cases now stands at 986.A press release issued by the Health Ministry, said that according to the Ministry’s Epidemiological Monitoring Unit one individual tested positive after 55 lab tests were carried out in the framework of the testing programme for 10,000 employees in businesses which resumed operations during the second and the third phase of easing the restrictive measures.No one tested positive out of 131 tests for passengers and people who have been repatriated, 54 tests carri...
Cyprus News Agency
Tianjin coronavirus case may arise from frozen food: expert
A seafood vendor solicits customers in Beijing's Sanyuanli Market in February. Photo: Li Hao/GTVirologists said Thursday that the COVID-19 case reported on Wednesday in North China's Tianjin Municipality may have come from frozen food contaminated by the coronavirus, as the patient had cleaned frozen seafood in a hotel.Scientists urged local medical authorities to sequence the genetic code of the virus.The patient, a 22-year-old man working in the city's Conrad Hotel, haswashed dishes in the hotel since May 30, occasionally cleaning frozen seafood.The Tianjin Center for Disease Control and Pre...
Saudi Arabia coronavirus case spike ‘disturbing’, says doctor
A prominent Saudi Arabian doctor and infectious disease consultant has been quoted in local online media outlet, Sabq as terming the rising number of coronavirus cases in the kingdom “disturbing”.The number of new cases reported daily in Saudi Arabia has risen substantially in the past days, but, Dr Nezar Bahabri claims, the spike in severe cases is not necessarily linked to the incremental easing of lockdown and curfew restrictions.Yesterday, the kingdom’s Health Ministry reported 1,975 newly confirmed cases in the previous 24 hours, bringing the country total to 93,157, among them 611 deaths...
The Middle East Monitor
Red Sea reports first coronavirus case after domestic tourism return
The Red Sea governorate reported its first coronavirus case on Saturday following the return of domestic tourism and hotel operation, said Red Sea Governor Amr Hanafy.According to Hanafy, the positive case was found in a tourist resort among 40 hotels that reopened. Seven tourists had stayed at the resort following the return of domestic tourism, he said.Domestic tourism across Egypt resumed on May 22 following a two-month suspension due to the coronavirus outbreak. The government allowed for hotels to operate again at 25 percent of their capacity until June 1, when they can operate at 50 perc...
First coronavirus case detected in Ecuador Amazon tribe
Quito (AFP) - The first case of the novel coronavirus has been detected in one of Ecuador's indigenous Amazon tribes, the health ministry said Sunday.Waorani organizations -- speaking through the GO Alliance for Human Rights in Ecuador (DDHH) -- warned COVID-19's spread could be "catastrophic and highly lethal" for their community, which is vulnerable to diseases.The first case reported in the Waorani tribe is a "pregnant woman, 17 years old, who began to show symptoms on May 4," the ministry said in a statement.She was taken to a hospital in the capital Quito and placed in isolation, the stat...
First coronavirus case reported in Wuhan, China, since April 3
For the first time in more than a month, a person in Wuhan, China, where the global pandemic is believed to have originated, has tested positive for coronavirus.Local health officials said the patient had previously been asymptomatic, the National Health Commission reported Sunday.It’s unclear how the man contracted the disease, which had seemingly died out in the area, but his wife and several other people in the community are being tested.The lockdown in Wuhan was lifted in early April, more than two months after the city was shut off in a failed attempt to stop transmission. Trains and flig...
New York Daily News
Yemen's besieged Taiz confirms coronavirus case amid fears of devastating outbreak
Yemen’s third largest city of Taiz reported its first case of the novel coronavirus on Friday, raising concerns for an outbreak in the besieged city as the viruscontinues to spreadundetectedacross the country.Yemen’s emergency coronavirus committee confirmed the positive diagnosis of a a 40-year-old man in the southwestern Taiz governorate, where control of the city if split between Houthi rebels and government forces.“The patient is receiving care at a quarantine centre and measures have been taken by the monitoring teams and the health department for those who interacted with him,” it added....
Lebanon confirms first coronavirus case in Palestine refugee camp
Palestinian refugees living in the Wavel camp in Lebanon’s eastern Bekaa Valley are set to be tested for coronavirus after one resident was found to have contracted the disease.A team of medical experts from Lebanon’s leading coronavirus treatment centre, the Rafic Hariri University Hospital (RHUH)in Beirut have been sent to test for new cases in the camp today.According to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), the camp has been put on lockdown and the confirmed case transferred to Beirut for treatment that will be covered by the relief agency.The statement added the relief organ...
The Middle East Monitor
Dial 909 to report any suspected coronavirus case in UAE
Abu Dhabi: The Abu Dhabi Government Media Office has called on the public to report suspicious cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in workers accommodation.Calling everyone’s cooperation in the fight against the pandemic, the government agency sent out a tweet on Friday in five languages - Arabic, English, Hindi, Urdu and Filipino.“To report suspicious cases of COVID-19 in workers accommodation, please call the operations center on 909,” said the Abu Dhabi Government Media Office.Meawhile, the Department of Community Development Abu Dhabi held a virtual meeting with clerics of non-Muslim places of...