Fallen TCU football star Trevone Boykin gets prison time after guilty plea for assault

©Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Seattle Seahawks quarterback Trevone Boykin (2) attempts to pass as he's pressured by the Oakland Raiders' James Cowser (47) during a preseason game at the Coliseum in Oakland, Calif., on September 1, 2016. - JANE TYSKA/East Bay Times/TNS

FORT WORTH, Texas — In a plea arrangement with Tarrant County prosecutors, Trevone Boykin was sentenced to three years in prison after he pleaded guilty Wednesday to charges of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury and tampering with a witness.

Boykin, 26, is a former quarterback who played for TCU and the Seattle Seahawks. He also pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor theft charges — theft of services $100-$750, and theft of property $100-$750 — and was sentenced to 180 days in Tarrant County Jail.

“Mr. Boykin has failed to take responsibility for any of his assaultive and criminal behavior up until this point,” said Allenna Bangs, chief of the Intimate Partner Violence team at the Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney’s Office.

“The victim in this case sustained a long-standing relationship of abuse by Mr. Boykin and, along with our office, feels his prison sentence is vindication for what she endured and the consequences he was able to avoid in the past because of his ability on the football field,” Bangs said.

Boykin’s sentences will run concurrently and the former football star should be eligible for parole in less than a year, his defense attorney, Brian Eppes said. The Texas Department of Criminal Justice will make a final determination of where Boykin will serve out his sentence, Eppes said.

“Trevone was not treated any differently than anyone else in Tarrant County and he ultimately took responsibility for his actions,” Eppes said.

Another try at football after he is free is not out of the question, according to Eppes.

“Trevone is happy to get through this part of his life,” Eppes said. “He’s young. I wouldn’t close the door on anything.”

Boykin was accused of domestic violence by a girlfriend, Shabrika Bailey, who alleged that Boykin broke her jaw during a March 2018 argument.

Mansfield police arrested Boykin on suspicion of aggravated assault with serious bodily injury. Boykin denied the allegations and posted bond, but the Seattle Seahawks released him from the team shortly after.

Boykin has been in the news for off-field trouble since his TCU days.

At the end of his senior season at TCU, Boykin was arrested in San Antonio after he allegedly punched a police officer during a bar fight on Dec. 31, 2015, two days before TCU was scheduled to play in the 2016 Alamo Bowl.

He pleaded no contest to a charge of resisting arrest in June 2016 and received one year of deferred adjudication probation.

Boykin was also arrested in March 2017 following an incident in which he was a passenger in a car that hit Sidebar Bar in Dallas, plus seven people who were on a sidewalk. He was arrested on suspicion of possession of marijuana and public intoxication during that incident, according to Dallas County Jail records.

Boykin ended his career at TCU as the holder of several Horned Frogs records: career passing yards (10,728), completions (830) and pass attempts (1,356), and the single-season record for passing yards (3,901).

He went on to play two seasons in the NFL with the Seahawks (2016-17). Boykin appeared in five games during the 2016 season, going 13 of 18 for 145 yards with a touchdown and an interception.


©2020 Fort Worth Star-Telegram