Blackhawks down 2-0 in series against Golden Knights after a 4-3 overtime loss in Game 2

©Chicago Tribune

Jeff Vinnick/Getty Images North America/TNS

The Chicago Blackhawks rallied from a two-goal deficit to tie the score after two periods and sent Game 2 of their first-round Stanley Cup playoff series into overtime Thursday, but the Vegas Golden Knights won 4-3 on Reilly Smith’s redirect goal 7:13 into the extra session.

The Golden Knights will take a 2-0 advantage in the best-of-seven series into Game 3 on Saturday.

“I thought we showed a lot of character to battle back,” Hawks coach Jeremy Colliton said. “They’re a really good third-period team. … Disappointing because I thought the guys played hard.”

Hawks goalie Corey Crawford stopped 16 shots in the third period — including five high-danger chances — to send the game into overtime.

With three assists, Patrick Kane passed Bobby Hull for most postseason points in franchise history. Kane has 130 points (51 goals, 79 assists) in 133 games.

Smith continued to harangue the Hawks. He scored two third-period goals in the series opener.

The Hawks showed greater urgency after the Game 1 loss and committed to getting quality shots against Knights goalie Robin Lehner, as well as getting more bodies to the net to create traffic in front of Lehner and second-chance shots.

That worked out in the second period, when Kirby Dach scored his first career playoff goal off a rebound.

Dominik Kubalik followed less than nine minutes later with a power-play goal, his first goal of the series and fourth of the postseason.

Vegas took a 3-2 lead when Alec Martinez’s pass bounced off Mark Stone’s midsection, and Stone poked it in. But the Hawks answered with 14 seconds left in the period on Kane’s backhand cross-crease pass to Dylan Strome for the tying goal.

The Hawks made some adjustments after losing 4-1 in Game 1 4-1, and early on they displayed puck possession and put more shots on goal. But they struggled to capitalize on several opportunities and had defensive breakdowns.

Hawks defenseman Lucas Carlsson rushed to break up a potential wrap-around attempt by Jonathan Marchessault, but Marchessault dished to Paul Stastny, who had a clear shot at Crawford for the game’s first goal.

Duncan Keith took a chance on a takeaway attempt but missed, and the Knights had a three-on-one rush and finished with a goal by Tomas Nosek, playing for the first time in the series.

The Hawks had their chances in the first, too, but Strome opted against taking a shot on one opportunity and Brandon Saad fanned a backhand pass from Jonathan Toews.

The goal post has been particularly unfriendly to the Hawks this postseason. In Game 1, Toews had a would-be goal skip off the crossbar, and on Thursday, Kane hit the iron during the power play.

Colliton shook up the lineup for Game 2.

Defenseman Adam Boqvist was a scratch, Drake Caggiula played on the second line with Dach and Kane and Alex DeBrincat dropped to the third line with Strome and Matthew Highmore.


©2020 Chicago Tribune