Eric Trump testifies in New York AG’s probe
U.S. President Donald Trump’s son Eric was questioned under oath by the New York attorney general’s office, which is probing whether the family’s real estate company falsely reported property values to get loans or tax benefits, according to a person familiar with the matter.
Eric Trump, an executive vice president at the Trump Organization, was deposed on Monday via video-conference after initially refusing to provide testimony and then unsuccessfully trying to postpone it until after the November election, said the person, who declined to be identified discussing the matter.
The probe by New York Attorney General Letitia James is focusing on an obscure property called Seven Springs on 212 acres outside New York City, as well as transactions involving the Trump-owned 40 Wall Street building in lower Manhattan, a Los Angeles golf club and the Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago.
Michael Cohen, the president’s former personal lawyer and fixer who has become a vocal critic, has said his ex-boss inflated the value of his assets “when it suited him” and deflated the same figures to reduce his tax liability.
The president’s son was ordered by New York state court Justice Arthur Engoron to sit for the deposition by Oct. 7.
Trump’s company, which turned over thousands of documents to James, a Democrat, has accused her of weaponizing the investigation political purposes ahead of the election. The probe, however, isn’t likely to be finished or result in any public findings before Nov. 3.
North Carolina Sen. Thom Tillis says he’s now free of COVID-19 symptoms
RALEIGH, N.C. — U.S. Sen. Thom Tillis, who announced on Friday that he had tested positive for COVID-19, is now symptom-free, his spokesman said Monday afternoon.
Tillis, R-N.C., will continue to self-isolate, according a statement released by his office. He has been quarantining at his home in Huntersville since his positive test result.
“Senator Tillis feels great and has regained his sense of taste and smell,” the statement read. “He is no longer exhibiting any symptoms and will continue to self-isolate. Senator Tillis and his wife Susan remain grateful for the outpouring of prayers and well wishes they’ve received from North Carolinians.”
Tillis attended a White House ceremony on Sept. 26 to announce the nomination of Amy Coney Barrett for the vacant seat on the Supreme Court and met with her in Washington on Wednesday before casting a Senate vote on Thursday and returning to North Carolina. Several people who attended the Barrett event, including President Donald Trump, have subsequently tested positive.
Trump was admitted to Walter Reed Medical Center on Friday for treatment that has included experimental drugs and steroids, but tweeted on Monday that he planned to leave that evening and his doctors said he met standards to be discharged, the Associated Press reported. On Sunday, Trump left the hospital to drive past supporters on the street in the presidential motorcade.
—The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.)
Decades after Klansmen and Nazis killed five, NC city to consider official apology
RALEIGH, N.C. — Decades after five people died at the hands of Nazis and Klan members, a North Carolina city is considering a formal apology.
A proposed resolution posted to the city of Greensboro website calls on leaders to apologize to the victims, families and community members impacted by the violent 1979 clash known as the Greensboro Massacre.
In addition to addressing the attacks, the proposal would create scholarships in the victims’ memories, according to an agenda for Tuesday’s virtual City Council meeting.
If approved, it could be a step toward healing in the North Carolina city.
On Nov. 3, 1979, Communist Workers Party members met at the Morningside Homes public housing complex for a demonstration called “Death to the Klan,” McClatchy News previously reported.
“Word spread to members of the Ku Klux Klan and American Nazis in other parts of the state and they arrived with guns in their trunks,” the North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program said on its website. “Events unfolded in rapid order, with shots fired by both sides.”
Five protesters were shot and killed, and at least 10 others were hurt, McClatchy News reported.
In 1980 and 1984, the city of Greensboro says all-white juries acquitted several people accused of murdering the slain protesters and hurting others. Also in the 1980s, a jury in a civil case found “six members of the Ku Klux Klan and the American Nazi Party and two Greensboro police officers liable for wrongful death in connection with the Greensboro Massacre,” officials say.
In recent years, the City Council says it passed a “statement of regret” about the massacre, voted in support of a historic marker at the site and supported an “impromptu” apology introduced by council member Sharon Hightower.
“I felt like we needed to make the effort,” Hightower said, according to the News & Record. “This takes it a step further. It really is intentional and focused on the areas of hurt that really will speak to the concerns that the participants had from 1979.”
The city in its latest proposal offers an apology for the “failure of any government action to effectively overcome the hate that precipitated the violence, to embrace the sorrow that resulted from the violence, and to reconcile all the vestiges of those heinous events in the years subsequent to 1979.”
The resolution also would create five annual scholarships for graduating high school students. Each of the awards, worth $1,979, is in memory of a massacre victim, the city said on its meeting agenda.
—The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.)