Chicago Bears lose 26-23 in overtime to the New Orleans Saints after erasing a late 10-point deficit

©Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO — New Orleans Saints kicker Wil Lutz made a 35-yard field goal with 1:40 to play in overtime to lift the Saints to a 26-23 victory over the Chicago Bears on Sunday night at Soldier Field.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees completed a 14-yard pass to Tre’Quan Smith to get the Saints into Bears territory on the winning drive, and running back Alvin Kamara had a 20-yard run to get the Saints to the 11-yard line. After a Saints delay-of-game penalty, Lutz made his fourth field goal of the game.

The Saints won the coin toss after regulation and received the ball to start overtime. But the Bears defense came up with the stop.

After the Saints were flagged for holding, Brees threw back-to-back incompletions. On third-and-12 from their 45, Brees hit Taysom Hill for a 10-yard pass and the Saints punted.

But the Bears got only to their 31-yard line on their possession. The Saints sacked quarterback Nick Foles twice, and Anthony Miller and Jimmy Graham each had drops on the drive to overshadow a stunning catch by Allen Robinson to convert a third-and-15.

Bears kicker Cairo Santos made a 51-yard field goal with 13 seconds to play to send the game to overtime.

In regulation, Foles threw an interception and nearly had another one picked off. The interception came immediately after a bizarre incident in which Bears wide receiver Javon Wims punched Saints safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson twice in the face mask. Wims was ejected.

The Bears got their running game going despite playing a Saints run defense that was ranked fourth in the league entering the game. David Montgomery had 21 carries for 89 yards, including a 38-yard run on a drive that ended in a field goal.

He outgained Kamara on the ground. Kamara had 67 rushing yards, but he caught nine passes for 96 yards, including a 47-yard catch-and-run in the first quarter.

The Bears had a rough game with injuries. Right tackle Bobby Massie (knee) and defensive linemen Roy Robertson-Harris (shoulder) and John Jenkins (ankle) all left the game.


©2020 Chicago Tribune